The property is part of an area that was formerly occupied by Officine Meccaniche Reggiane (mechanical industries) now the object of a wide urban regeneration plan. The intervention on this area is at the core of a strategic development plan for the northern area of the city that encompasses industrial parks and a high speed station; based on Reggio Emilia distinctive competences (mechatronics, green building, agro-food and education) and on territorial infrastructures at their service.
In particular the property consists of:
- 140,000 sq.m area already renovated;
- 210,000 sq.m available for new investments Area for new investments (210,000 sq.m)
The investments to be realised in the area are mainly divided into:
- up to 100,000 sq.m. for different types of investments (offices, residential connected to existing functions,, industrial and logistic activities, research centers, cultural activities, services)
- 19,500 sq.m: parking;
- 40,000 sq.m: green spaces.
The area includes existing buildings of 70,400 sq.m. Area already renovated (110,000 sq.m.)
Regeneration of about 40% of the area is already ongoing:
- shed 19 and 18 have already been redeveloped creating 13,000 sq.m of spaces for the Reggio Emilia Technopole (2013) with university laboratories and research centres for technology transfer and for several innovative companies leader in their sectors at international level (2018).
- completion of infrastructures for the whole area are ongoing, along with redevelopment of the former industrial facilities 17 and 15 which will host offices, research laboratories, innovative companies and cultural and creative activities.
- Completion of additional infrastructures like squares, public spaces, new cycle-pedestrian crossings and underpasses, new traffic roads are further improving the existing strategic accessibility
The regeneration works have a high architectonical value combining elements dating back to the origins of the former factory and brand new structures with innovative, smart and green solutions.