The urbanized area covers an area of 474,000 square meters, with the possibility of hosting new companies. It is a low density populated territory, mostly devoted to agricultural and productive activities. The presence of two waterways characterizes the area on the east and west edges, connoting the landscape and qualifying the natural ecosystem.
The industrial area offers the possibility of expansion for production, service and commercial functions in two areas to the north and south of the current urbanized area which respectively have an area of 68,800 square meters and 256,000 square meters.
The development of the industrial area must include environmental sustainability requirements:
• promotion of sustainable mobility
• insertion of services for a higher quality of work
• reduction of energy consumption
• reduction in the consumption of materials and waste production, tending towards the closure of the cycle
• harmonization of interventions with the landscape and natural habitat
• creation of eco-sustainable architectures
It is in phase of developing an ultra wide band, a network capable of sending data at very high speed (at least 100 Mbps).
Last but not least, the area is well connected with the Logistics centers of the Bologna metropolitan area.
In 2021 the Municipality established the "Fossatone Board", a permanent table in which the Municipality, the Metropolitan City of Bologna, ART-ER, Confindustria, the companies and owners of the building areas participate, with the aim of sharing actions for the development and qualification of the scope.